Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Camping with Ferris Wheels


Ha! Tonight I'm writing to you from a Holiday Inn in Waycross, Georgia. I'm pretty thankful to get to use the computer here especially because I am not staying here tonight-- I'm staying next door. Hooray for southern hospitality and kind people.

So get this, dear reader, last night I camped out in a carnival work yard. That's right. I was four miles out of (48 miles southwest of Savannah), and I asked permission from the boss to camp on the land, and he was kind enough to say yes :). There was a pony, a goose, many ticket booths, a sideways ferris wheel, and a carousel. The rides were being worked on (welded and painted) in order to be ready for the carnival to go on the road in March. It was an excellent camping spot-- the only thing was that the goose was pretty loud. :)

This morning I headed out and into the town of Ludowici where I found Debbie's Diner. Dear Reader, the folks at that diner were the kindest people I have encountered so far on the trip. I got into a GREAT conversation and laughed so hard my belly hurt. It always feels good to make new friends.

Now I'm in Waycross, and I just had a burger for dinner. Good to get some protein for the road. I was super hungry after my 56 mile day. Get this: while eating, I got into a conversation with a couple of guys there at the restaurant. One of them asked: Do you ride with a teddy bear? He had seen me on the road. Bear's famous!

Check out the pictures! I'll be here in Waycross for a couple of nights-- tomorrow I'll spend the day the Okeefanokee Swamp Park. Cheers!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The name Okeefanokee is so great...I just looked it up...
"The origin of the name Okefenokee was derived from the Choctaw Indian word for “Land of Trembling (or Quivering) Earth,” and refers to the many peat blow-ups that are found throughout the Okefenokee Swamp."
Good on ya Marcia, roadside attraction that you are becoming..the phenomena of bear and the palm rose ambler! We await more adventuresome tales..
Have fun meeting Jimmy Carter this weekend. Tell him we think he's the greatest ex pres ever!
Love Alli

Anonymous said...

Wow--from snakehandling to swamps, this story has everything! I drove through the Okeefanokee Swamp Park when I was in 5th or 6th grade. (ok, I was too young to drive, but you get the idea) I had learned about the Okeefanokee in school, and I couldn't believe the swamp was really there, huge and strange. My family went to Florida every summer vacation while I was growing up. We always stopped at roadside attractions, and snakehandling was always my favorite part--boas, lots of boas.

Hi to Bear! Wind at yer back, Marcia.

love,
tammy

Teacher V said...

Alli,

Thanks for looking that up-- you're right- Land of Trembling Earth. Perfect name if you ask me.

Thanks for the kudos, Alli. I am having a FANTASTIC time, and as you saw-- I had the best time ever meeting Jimmy Carter!

Love
Marcia

Teacher V said...

Tammy, Good to know that I am retracing your girlhood steps. Hee, hee.

The wind is pretty fantastic when it is at my back, but when it isn't, it really slows me down. It is then, when I am going so very slow, that I reach back and touch Bear's nose and find some solace. He's the best good luck charm ever.

Love,
Marcia

Anonymous said...

Hey Ms V,

So you spent the night in a carnival?? Was the carnival open the next day? Was it a lttle scary? Get back soon.

Mr. B.

Anonymous said...

how is your trip? I hope you come soon to shcool so we can hear about your trip at where you are.

Anonymous said...

Did you get to be inside the presidents house/ ARE you having fun in GORGIA.

Teacher V said...

Mr. B.: I have to say-- it wasn't so scary-- it was more surreal than anything else to be at a carnival grounds.

Eduardo: I will be coming back just as you finish the WASL!

Lupita: I had a great time in Georgia and now I am in Alabama!