Saturday, February 24, 2007

A Day in Atlanta... then on the road to Macon, Georgia

At the Ebeneezer Baptist Church
Due again to fantastic Southern kindness and hospitality, I got to go to Atlanta. As you may recall, I was not going to get a chance to visit Atlanta on this trip, due to fact that it's quite dangerous to bike in and out of that city. However, Jill- who splits her time between Atlanta and Plains, gave me, my bicycle, panniers, and Bear a ride up to the Atlanta area. I got to spend a couple of fun nights with her and the cutest dog in the world-- Thomas, and a day walking around Atlanta. Thanks, Jill!

The crux of my day in Atlanta was going to President Jimmy Carter's Presidential Library and Museum, and then taking the 1.5 mile "Freedom Walk" to the Martin Luther King, Jr. National Historic Site. The walk teaches visitors the commonalities between these men-- including their lifelong fight for human rights and winning the Nobel Peace Prize.

I'll start with vising the King National Historic Site. Dear reader, the National Historic Site for Dr. King includes his boyhood home, the Ebeneezer Baptist Church, a fantastic museum, and a fire station that was the first in Atlanta to be integrated. His tomb is there as well-- with Coretta Scott King. I spent much of the morning I was there weeping, for I have been teaching about Dr. King's life for all the eight years that I have been an elementary school teacher-- and there I was .... looking into his childhood room from the hallway, sitting three rows back from where he preached, standing next to his tomb. I was so very moved by this experience and in the days to come I hope to have the words to describe more what it was like to be there. Right now I am still speechless. The lucky children in this area get to go on field trips to the National Historic Site-- pretty great, huh? I wonder if they appreciate how special that is.

After meeting President Carter and getting to hear him speak in person, I truly enjoyed this trip to his library and museum. There I learned even more about the days when he was in office. I was only a little girl when he was president, so this trip has taught me so much about him and what he was able to do while he was president and since he has been president.

Right now I'm in Macon. It is a very pretty town-- and there are even a few cherry blossom trees in bloom. Yesterday I went to the Tubman Museum, an awesome home to African American history and folk art. Today I have a few more hours before I'll head south to Warner Robins. It took a couple of short days to get here by bicycle. I have to say-- those short days are pretty nice-- the wind was at my back and I was cruising along-- powered up by the candy that Betty made for me in Plains. I just finished my first bag-- I have three more to go. Thanks Betty!!!

More pictures will be posted soon. Cheers, Dear Reader!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi ms.v,how are you today were are you ganna go today.

Anonymous said...

were are you now ms.v

Anonymous said...

are you having a good time today

Anonymous said...

I am going to Atlanta in March, too. Was it really hot there? How long did you stay here?

Anonymous said...

Ms.v are you haveing fun at your trip

Anonymous said...

WOW I CANT BELIEVE THAT YOU MET A GUY THAT ONWS A HUGE PLACE. MS.VENTURA HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DOING ALL THINGS BY YOUR SELF? HOW DID IT FEEL TO BE TAKING A PICTURE WITH PRESIDENT CARTER?

Anonymous said...

Ms. V,

I am going to Florida in a couple of months. And that is cool that you went to the White House, and that you took a picture with President Carter. You are so cool!

Anonymous said...

Ms. V,

where are you now? and when did you get all the fans! :) I've
never seen so many comments on a web page! :)

Teacher V said...

Hi !!! WHat great questions!

Cameron: I went to Montgomery today and had a GREAT time talking to a fantastic group of boys.

Mr. B: Come to Atlanta!!! And go on the Freedom Walk that I went on-- you'll learn so much.

Veronica: I am having SO much fun.

Genaro: It was a real honor to be with President Carter! And it's so much fun to be traveling solo.

Shayna: I went to the White House in early February-- I met President Carter weeks later in Plains,GA.

Jackie: Ha!! You're funny, Penguin Girl. I know! I'm totally impressed by all these visitors.