Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Visit to Concord Elementary


Hi dear reader! This week I get to go into one of my favorite schools: Concord Elementary School in Seattle, Washington. I was lucky enough to teach there for seven years-- right up until I decided to take this year off to travel. Today I went into Mr. Hunt's fourth grade class to talk about my latest trip to Australia and my upcoming bicycle trip.

First off I want to thank all of the students in room 203 for being such fantastic listeners. I can't wait to see Ms. Kate's class (room 222) and Ms. Linda's class (room 201) tomorrow.... that's if we don't have a snow day. If there's a snow day I'll see those folks on a different day... meanwhile I hope if there's a snow day you guys have a LOT of fun. Enough of that... don't want to jinx it :)

So today I biked to Concord with my fully loaded up bicycle. It took me just a little longer than usual to get to South Park, but that's okay. It takes a lot more time to brake, and I definitely am not able to ride with no hands when I have so much gear on my bike. Other than that, Bear rode in his usual spot (in the back) and I pedaled ahead.

Room 203 gave me lots of advice on what I should bring along in addition to what I already have on my packing list. They also gave some advice. These pieces of advice were my personal favorites, and ones that I will certainly follow:
  1. From MANY kids: DON'T lose Bear.
  2. Also from MANY kids: Be careful.
  3. Make sure that Bear wears a hat if he's cold and wears his seatbelt.
  4. Meet new friends.
  5. Drink lots of water.
  6. Take photos to share with us when you get back.
  7. Write to us and we will write to you.
  8. And, from Raul: Pedal medium. (In bicycling terms, we say, keep a good cadence. This is very critical-- thanks Raul).
I look forward to seeing the other classes in the coming days and weeks ahead. Next week I will be writing to you from Boston, Massachusetts! I will celebrate Martin Luther King, Jr. Day here by marching with fellow Seattle-ites in the annual march to downtown Seattle from the Central District. And later that night, I will fly to Boston to see my Mima (grandma) and Aunt Lorraine for a few days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These students are very wise. Good advice!